Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wandering in Baní Falls in Arakan Valley, North Cotabato

The moment we started walking after that one-hour bus ride from Davao City that took us to the picturesque side of the Davao-Bukidnon Highway, I said to myself I’m in for a real adventure. It’s Sunday and the sun was on its mightiest, the blue sky hosted scattered clouds amidst a sea of green. Welcome to Arakan Valley, North Cotabato, where hills that seemed manicured greet you upon reaching this place that could only be described as paradise.

Arakan Valley is home to the majestic Baní Falls which, when seen from afar, is oozing with silky white hue that stands out amidst a green foliage. I was told that going there wouldn’t be easy, and it would require a lot of stamina and endurance since the site is abundant with cogon grass and with just few trees standing on its soil. That could only mean you have to walk under the heat of the sun since no shade of trees will give you respite on your long walk heading to Baní Falls. This prompted the Davao City-based Philippine Eagle Foundation to partner with the Bagobo tribe to come up with a greenhouse nursery, just one of the first steps in the reforestation efforts in that part of Arakan valley.

The 100-meter Bani Falls in Arakan Valley, North Cotabato



That part is truly a sight to behold as Arakan Valley offers a 360-degree view of the mountain ranges, of hills and of plateaus.

You start kissing the sun the moment you arrived in Kampo Uno, along the national highway where single motorcycles more known here in Davao Region as habal-habal are aplenty. From there, expert drivers will take you on a crazy and scary motorcycle ride, passing through rough and bumpy roads and an old bridge, where you can see humungous rocks below. 

After arriving in Sitio Inamong after ten minutes of motorcycle ride, members of the Bagobo tribe eased my initial exhaustion with their welcoming smiles. It provided additional warmth as well as an affirmation that I am in the right and safe place. After having a short tete`-a-tete´ with their tribal leader, I together with my trek-mates Mam Sarah, Sirs Edwin, Leo and Kang started our journey in anticipation to see the magnificence of Baní Falls. 

And this was when real adventure began. After being so hyper upon our approach to the topmost part of the Baní Falls, I was literally catching my breath on our first real ascent. By then, I almost called it quits, saying to my buddies that the mountain is not made for me. And that was only 30 minutes on the trail when I thought of giving up! But then, I persevered, thinking that my trip here would be futile if I don’t make it to the foot of the falls. Don’t be deceived: the trek was an easy one for expert climbers, but for a novice like me, it was really hard. 





But it’s worth it. The joy of seeing the waterfalls and hearing the sound that it produced from afar is truly a delight. When we arrived in our destination on high noon, we immediately submerged ourselves in one of the springs beside the falls where all our exhaustion were literally wiped out by the cold water that runs through it. We ate our lunch there together with our guides, and since we ran out of mineral water, we relied on the spring for our water consumption. It tastes great! Lo and behold, the 100-meter high Baní Falls in Arakan Valley, North Cotabato is truly one of Mindanao’s hidden jewels.



At the foot and top of the Bani Falls

We didn’t stay long, since we are afraid that we will still be in the trail at dusk. Lest I forget, this was my first major climb and the thought of surviving the 21-kilometer walk is making me smile. I also realized that climbing also reinvigorates your spiritual side as I can’t count on my fingers how many times I prayed during the trek, wishing for a safe ascent-descent and that my body can withstand the sweltering heat of the sun. I will always remember how I expressed gratitude each time a strong wind comes in, for occasional shades and the good view.

This is one classic example of if others can, why can’t I?

Looking back, I thought I was really punishing myself for joining the trip but I was wrong. Climbing truly requires endurance, strength, stamina and the like. It was really a hell of a trip but it made me realized that you really don’t conquer the mountain when you are climbing. You are conquering yourself. 



3 comments:

  1. very professional kah nah jud loi. we are so proud of u louie .. =) love the the beauty of nature :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arakan Valley, oh, how i love thee! :) Superbly written Luy and the photos are breathtaking! :)

    ReplyDelete