Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Majestic Mt. Apo Experience


It all began with hesitation, but as soon as we started our journey on a broad daylight, I know there’s no coming back. This is no ordinary journey and certainly not for the faint-hearted.  We’re heading to Mt. Apo, the grandfather of Philippine mountains and the crown jewel of Philippine mountain climbing experience.

Last Holy Week, I felt like Bilbo Baggins of Shire—plucked from his comfort zone to take a part in a journey that could only be described as an ultimate adventure of a lifetime.  I certainly know how this journey would take its toll on us, especially on me—an obvious heavyweight and an inexperienced mountaineer. One would certainly wonder why I decided to join and the fact that we are aiming to reach the summit of the highest mountain in the Philippines for my first major climb is totally a crazy idea. As what we always say along the trail, kiat ray agi. Climbing Apo is not really included in my bucket list because I know that mountain climbing is not my cup of tea. Originally, I already planned to do a documentary about the holy week activities in Tagum last week but when I realized that majority of my officemates are joining the trip, I hastily agreed to take part and might as well give it a try. The journey to Apo started in Tagum two weeks before March 28, in early mornings at Energy Park where I did my exercise regimen.With just a little bit of jogging and more on walking and just few days to do it, I know this wouldn’t be enough. But still I pushed through with the plan, this time inspired by the idea of standing in the spot that every true-blooded mountaineer dreamed of reaching.

Mt. Apo's reflection is seen in a portion of Lake Venado. The country's highest lake sprawls at the foot of the country's highest mountain. According to local tribesmen, the lake is believed to be enchanted, killing countless mountaineers in the past.
By the time we arrived at Magpet in North Cotabato where we spent one night, we had already had our baptism of fire. The jeepney’s engine that produced boisterous sound as it makes its way to Magpet from Kidapawan was killed in action—in the middle of an uphill road wrapped in total darkness. We have no choice but to walk, carrying our heavy bags containing food supplies for the next four days.

There are many trails leading to majestic Mt. Apo, one of which is the Bongolanon Trail in Magpet which packages its trek as a “rainforest adventure.” Based on internet research I did prior to the start of this trip, some bloggers consider this as the easiest trail to the Majestic Apo, never mind its far location and the time you will spend hiking in its forests. Normally, it would take you two days of hiking in Bongolanon Trail before reaching Lake Venado, located at the foot of Mt. Apo.




But the experience itself is rewarding. Through its rainforests, I was delighted by its grandeur and through its mossy rainforests, I thought that James Cameron’s Avatar could be real. You can feel the altitude shift right at your very eyes and ears, with landscapes constantly changing as you continue to ascent. Shortlisted as a candidate for a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mt. Apo offers rich and distinctive flora and fauna that nature-lovers would surely appreciate. As you walk quietly through tiny passages, chances are you’ll be lucky to spot a wild tarsier and marvel at those wild orchids attached to trees tiny or huge, like a child clinging to his mother dear. As you bend to pass through nature-made barricades courtesy of some fallen old trees, be prepared to be dazzled by the extraordinary foliage of the trees that surround you the moment you stood back straight. Birds will remind you of precious time as it make sound each passing hour, loud enough to be heard in the entire forest. In between catching breath and little respite, nature rewards you with dazzling views not everyone won’t have a chance to enjoy. When you’re there, it really felt like you’re in a world within a world just like journeying to the Middle Earth in the Lord of the Rings.

With all this alluring vistas, you would surely think hiking to Apo is just like a walk in the park. Truth is, it’s not. You have to summon all your patience and courage as well as strength to be able to endure the exhausting climb. I certainly fear heights and up to this very day, I don’t know how I managed to walk in very tiny path with a very deep ravine on the other side, holding and trusting on roots and grasses to save you wherever you would fall to the trap. I think nature has its own way of presenting you your fears and in a way challenges you to overcome it. You have no choice but to face it, otherwise you would end up stuck in the middle of the forest without reaching your goal.

After spending a night in Camp Bobong where the tune of cicadas lulled us to sleep, our restless feet took us to Lake Venado, past a mossy forest, deep chasms and treacherous hills. After the four-hour trek, we were amazed by the welcoming expanse of serene flatland dotted with hidden swamps. From here, the awe-inspiring view of Mt. Apo will surely be enjoyed. At the fall of dusk, the freezing cold seems to bite. As darkness enveloped the environment, it gave us an opportunity for an evening of crystal-clear stargazing

We started the final leg of our journey towards the peak at 3:45 in the morning; still dark with only the moonlight and our hand-held flashlights to guide our way. From the lake, it would take three hours before reaching the top which is the highest point in the Philippines. We saw the color of the spectrum dance before our very eyes as the sun slowly appeared in the horizon with fluffy clouds. The climb itself was arduous as I expected. I even reached to the point that I thought of backing out. I had thought of this the night before this climb, thinking I’m satisfied having set foot at the foot of Mt. Apo. But then I thought it would be a disgrace if I won’t be able to reach the top when in fact I’m already in its gate. Difficult as it is, but I persevered—thanks to the constant encouragement from my trek buddies and to fellow climbers who are already on their way down from the peak. When I reached the apex, an ineffable feeling flowed through my veins. It’s the kind of fulfillment that made me think I’m on the top of the world.

Indeed, the most tiring are the most satisfying. And this will not be possible without the people who journeyed with me to the top. Had it not because of their constant encouragement I would not make it to the top. To Sir Edwin, Leo, Kelvin and Zyzle I extend my gratitude. And to our porter-friends, Litoy and Junjun.

I am wrong to think I’m too little for my hesitations and fears. Turned out I’m bigger than it. When we already went back to Lake Venado past 12 noon, I sat on the ground gazing at the green foliage of Apo and the very same spot where I stood at the peak. I smiled. It was sheer courage that brought me there. Courage is not the absence of fear but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquer that fear.

If there’s one thing that I learned from this adventure, it is this: no one can conquer mountains. Just one’s self.

I will say it again: reaching Apo’s peak is an adventure I will never forget. And here’s to looking forward to another opportunity to conquer one’s self aptly immortalized through the great words of Nelson Mandela:

“I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities; and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended.”

The Blogger on Top of the Philippines
TEAM KIAT RAY AGI reaches APO's PEAK on SABADO DE GLORIA. Standing from left: Edwin Lasquite, me, Zyzle Jean Zaragosa, Leo Timogan and Kelvin Palermo

Making our way at the Rainforest

A mosquito's final moment before it falls to the trap of a pitcher plant in the forest of Mt. Apo.
A welcoming expanse of serene flatland that is Lake Venado.


Here's our successful ascent to Mt. Apo in video:

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching the top of the Philippines! :) Lake Venado looks beautiful. Too bad I didn't take that trail. I also thought climbing Mt Apo felt like being in a scene in Lord of the Rings... only mine was Mordor, when I was climbing the boulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mustachio! You can always go back and take the Magpet Trail. I would love to try the boulders trail. I think it will be very awesome. For now, I need to have more training! :D

      Delete